Career changer. After college I started down the track of becoming a professional pilot. After 3 years in the aviation world I was furloughed from my job as a copilot on an EMB-145 (50 seat regional jet) while flying for a large regional airline.
Update: 5-18-09: As fate would have it, J's status would not seem to be at an all time high, and I received a letter from Wayne State stating that they will most likely not be offering admission to anybody on the wait list. So it looks like (without being explicit about the issue) that Wayne State cleared their entire wait list. So, Detroit Mercy it is!
Update: 5-14-09 - I've now withdrawn from the wait lists at both Howard and Willamette. While this might sound crazy to some folks, being that I still had a chance to get into two of the better schools I've got an opportunity at, my wife managed to find employment back home in Michigan. So, if I get into Wayne, I'll head there, but otherwise it's the University of Detroit Mercy for me. Unfortunately I'm not unattached and just out of my undergraduate work, so I don't have the luxury of going to the best school I can get into. Eating for the next 3 years is also important, and my wife being able to work back home is huge for us.
Update: 4-29-09 - Dayton offered me a $4,000 scholarship to go there, which I'm turning down. It was going to take a lot more than $4,000 to convince me to go there.
Update: 4-22-09 - It looks like we're moving home to Michigan and attending Detroit unless I get into Howard or Willamette. Obviously, Wayne puts us in the same geographic location if I get in.
Update: 4-6-09 - In at Detroit, wait listed at Howard. So here are the cards, now I've gotta figure out how to play them.
Update: 3-30-09 - Wait listed at Willamette. Not great news, not bad news.
Update: 3-28-09 - In at Golden Gate. I'm expecting to get into Detroit, so now I've gotta figure out real soon where I'm headed if I need to go to one of my safety schools. I should have Willamette and Howard back soon, so once I get those it'll pretty much decide where I'm headed.
Update: 3-25-09 - Rejected at Denver, no surprise there. I've still got Detroit, Howard, Willamette and Golden Gate in the pipeline. Here's to hoping...
Update: 3-17-09 - A spot of not so bad news; I got wait listed at Wayne State. Better than an all out rejection!
Update: 3-12-09 - They seem to be coming in now, another rejection at Gonzaga.
Update: 3-10-09 - Got rejected at William Mitchell (I wasn't expecting to get in there) and accepted to Dayton within about a day of each other. I guess if all else fails, I can head out to Dayton while my wife works on a masters degree in social work down in Cincy.
Update: 2-26-09 - Got my first ding with NIU. It didn't take them long to figure out they didn't like my application. It might be the first, but I'm sure it won't be the last. Here's to hopin' for the rest of them!