REAL Final Update (8/14/06) I just want to update one last time to inform everyone that I was offered admission to Mason off of the waitlist. Unfortunately, I'd moved everything to Philly and prepared to go to Villanova, so I had to decline.
Final Update (8/2/06) - Well, I tried everything, LOR, LOCI (multiple times), meeting with the adcomm director, prayer, and I was even able to make the final group of waitlist applicants, but it seems like the GMU WL is now stationary, and I just can't wait much longer.
For those of you eyeing Mason for the following year, aside from having incredible work experience or a stellar GPA, I don't think any other factors will earn you admission with a sub-160 LSAT score.
Anyway, best of luck to everyone headed to Mason or elsewhere next year as well as to those trying their luck in the 06-07 cycle. I hope this profile will provide some useful information to future applicants.
*Villanova Law Class of '09*
Update: (4/29): I withdrew from Syracuse - They did impress me with their presentation and the money was tempting, but in the end, I think Villanova will offer me more opportunities (and is worth the extra cash).
Update (4/14): I withdrew from U of Richmond today. It's a good school, and I may have attended if I was accepted outright; however, I want to focus all of my attention on George Mason. Plus, I think Villanova would provide more opportunities for me than would Richmond. Best of luck to anyone hoping to get off the wait list at UoR!
Latest break down of schools
George Mason: If they take me, I'll go.
Villanova: I'm 95% certain this where I'll end up if I can't get into George Mason.
Syracuse: I received an extension until May 1 to make a deposit. They have a chance to impress me at the DC reception next week, and it would be a shame to leave that scholarship on the table, but Nova just seems to offer many more opportunities.
Final Record: 2-2-2
Waitlists: George Mason Law (Keep the faith!) and Richmond (withdrawn)
Post Cycle Thoughts: I did okay this cycle; I thought my soft factors and the decline in the overall number of applicants would take me a little further, but so be it.
The Baylor ding and Mason waitlist were expected - I thought I had a better chance at Bloomington and Richmond, but I was pleasantly surprised by the acceptance to Villanova and the scholarship from Syracuse.
Villanova's location, ranking, and post-graduate employment/salary stats make the school the frontrunner right now. However, Syrcause's more modern facilities, law and economics program, and scholarship money are keeping the school in the running. In fact, if it weren't for the climate, it'd probably be my school of choice.
If I'm accepted into Mason, I'll definitely accept the offer. If not, it looks l'll be headed up to Philly.
Anyone have any advice - Particularly regarding the choice between Villanova and Syracuse?
Update (3/23/06) - U of Richmond: Somewhat of a tough break as I end the "season" with a 2-2-2 record thanks to a waitlist decision at UoR. I thought I had a better shot, but in their letter they claim that they haven't seen the same decline in applicants that other school have. Interestingly, their waitlist letter is far more encouraging (in its tone) than my Villanova acceptance was. It makes it sound like the waitlist isn't just a precursor to a future rejection, and that they extended only a limited number of offers of admission in order to ensure a small entering class for the fall. Anyway, I guess there's still a shot.
STILL ALIVE (aka waitlisted) at George Mason! Sure, I would have preferred an acceptance, but I know I'm a borderline call, so it definitely could have worse. I'm going to try my best to finally earn an acceptance. Everyone's prayers and encouragement are greatly appreciated.
Phew, my 2 "game" losing streak comes to an end with an acceptance from Villanova- Praise God. No money unfortunately, but it's a nice confidence boost. Of course, GMU is still number one.
Anyone have any general advice or specific comments about Villanova?
Baylor - As expected, I was denied. I do appreciate the time they (apparently) took to review my application. My numbers weren't very competitive, and if I knew this to begin with I probably would not have applied. I was lured by an (evidently) insipid fee waiver.
Indiana - Bloomington - The quick rejection was somewhat of a surprise since I received a waiver noting that I would be competitive for both admission and a scholarship. The school also does let people in with my numbers and does have a higher acceptance rate than most schools.
I'm not shocked, however, since I am below the medians, and it is a good school. I also only provided two letters of rec when the school suggested three - That's probably why the rejection came so quickly.
Syracuse - This was a safety school, but with the money they're offering me, there's a good chance I'll end up there if Mason doesn't work out. It's a decent school with a strong alumni base, and leaving school with a limited debt does take some of the pressure off in finding a job. [This option is still alive thanks to an extension on the deposit deadline; however, I think Nova and Richmond (should I be admitted) would still have the edge barring a Mason acceptance.
Overall, I'm really pulling/praying for Mason PT, but Syracuse, Richmond, and Villanova are viable options if that doesn't work out
If anyone from the Mason admission committee is viewing this: Please, please, please let me into the part time program - I'll be your best friend! :)