04-09-08: Withdrew from Loyola. Only Wisconsin remains and I think I'll just let my name float on the waiting list. But I'm going to Iowa.
04-01-08: I'm first runner up for the half tuition scholarship, but the women who control the funds decided to give me $6,500 a year anyway. That, plus my honors-at-entrance money would be half my tuition bill.
Also, withdrew from DePaul.
03-10-08: Loyola admit dean called to tell me I'm a finalist for a half tuition scholarship. Have an interview end of the month. Guess they're still in the running.
03-08-08: Visited Iowa's admitted students' day. I'm going to attend there.
02-29-08: Visited Loyola's admitted students' day. Just didn't do it for me. I don't think I'll be going there.
02-22-08: Waitlisted by UW. Eh. Not going to wait around for that answer. It's between Iowa and DePaul at this point.
02-13-08: Withdrew from SLU. Doing that was tough; their health law program is the best. But St. Louis is too far away.
02-11-08: Scholarship info from St. Louis arrived in the mail. I'm going to have to take a pass on it. It looks like it's between the Chicago schools and Iowa right at the moment.
02-10-08: I'm withdrawing my apps from University of Illinois and Northern Illinois University.
02-09-08: I GOT IN TO IOWA!!! I GOT IN!! I cannot believe it. I am so pumped.
01-30-08: In at Northern. Not a big surprise, but this is my alma mater, so it's got sentimental value.
01-28-08: Got deferred by Illinois. Email says they'll decide later whether to admit, deny or waitlist me. Feels like a long shot.
01-26-08: Visited DePaul open house. Impressed with school's culture and diversity. Loyola's got a tough act to follow.
01-24-08: Got call while at work from dean of admissions at Loyola! I'm in with a $11,000/yr scholarship. Could barely contain my excitement while at the office.
01-22-08: Wisconsin sent me an email encouraging me to apply for a scholarship. I thought this was a good sign for my application chances until a friend pointed out that he'd got the same form-letter email too.
01-14-08: Loyola emailed to tell me my file is complete. Now all my apps are under review. And all I can do is wait...
01-12-08: Be careful what you wish for. Got my first rejection letter today. From George Mason. Ouch. I know I was close.
01-09-08: I'm getting antsy. When are the Big 10 schools gonna tell me whether I'm accepted or rejected?
01-07-08: Today is my 31st birthday and I got a nice present -- a fat envelope from Saint Louis! Scholarship offers are sent out separately, so I've got another 3-4 weeks to wait and see. But the admissions packet came with a shiny silver pen, so that's a nice consolation while I wait.
01-01-08: Holidays are over so I finally got off my butt and sent in my Loyola application. Now I just have to 10 more pages of essays to apply for scholarships there...
12-18-07: Fat envelope from DePaul! I'm in with a $18K/yr scholarship. I' M GOING TO LAW SCHOOL!!
12-07-07: Both DePaul and St. Louis say my apps are in committee and under review. DePaul expects a decision in the next couple weeks. Dang, that's fast.
12-04-07: Got emails today from both University of Illinois and George Mason telling me my file was complete. Wow, that was fast. Wrapping up Wisconsin tonight.
12-01-07: Only three more apps to go. But I'm hitting the wall.
11-27-07: Decided to apply to both Alabama and George Mason, even though it's unlikely I'll attend either school. But they waived my fee and are both good schools.
9-17-07: Visited UW-Madison. Loved it. Top contender.
- Northern Kentucky University (1/10/08, email)
- Golden Gate University (12/31/07, mail)
- Regent University (12/8/07, email)
- Valparaiso University (11/26/07, mail)
- University of Alabama (11/1/07, mail, personal letter from faculty chair - dang! I'm gonna apply)
- Oklahoma City University (10/31/07, email)
- Widener University (10/26/07, mail)
- Hofstra University (10/23/07, mail)
- Temple University (10/23/07, email)
- University of Alabama (10/22/07, email, $20 iTunes card)
- University of Miami (10/15/07, mail)
- George Mason University (10/12/07, mail)
- University of Dayton (10/11/07, email, qual for scholarship)
- Chapman University (10/1/07, mail)
- Cardozo Law, Yeshiva University (9/24/07, email)
- Ave Maria (9/22/07, snail mail)
- St. Louis University (8/16/07, snail mail)
- Mercer University (8/8/07, snail mail)
- Washburn University, again (7/30/07, email, would "likely qualify" for schol)
- Florida Coastal School of Law (7/24/07, email, $8K scholar)
- Seton Hall University (7/14/07, snail mail)