PlugInBaby (2022-2023)

Views: 3003 User Since: 02/09/10

Application Information

F - Fee Waiver A - Attending W - Withdrawn D - Deferred
Please Wait...
# Law School Status Type $$$ Sent Received Complete Interview Date Decision Updated
#6 St. Louis University F Rejected Type: RA Sent: 02/11/10 Rec: 02/18/10 Comp: -- Inter: -- Dec: 03/25/10 Upd: 14 years
#5 Loyola University Chicago Pending W Type: RA Sent: 02/11/10 Rec: 02/16/10 Comp: 02/23/10 Inter: -- Dec: -- Upd: 14 years
#4 DePaul University F Accepted W Type: RA $15,000 Sent: 02/10/10 Rec: 02/11/10 Comp: 03/05/10 Inter: -- Dec: 03/24/10 Upd: 14 years
#3 Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) Accepted W Type: RA $30,000 Sent: 11/24/09 Rec: 12/15/09 Comp: 12/17/09 Inter: -- Dec: 02/12/10 Upd: 14 years
#2 Seattle University Waitlisted W Type: RA Sent: 11/24/09 Rec: 12/08/09 Comp: 12/14/09 Inter: -- Dec: 02/05/10 Upd: 14 years
#1 University of Washington Rejected Type: RA Sent: 11/25/09 Rec: 12/04/09 Comp: 12/11/09 Inter: -- Dec: 04/08/10 Upd: 14 years

Applicant Information

  • LSAT: 161
  • LSAT 2: -
  • LSAT 3: -
  • GRE : -
  • LSAC GPA: 3.77
  • Degree GPA: 3.93
  • School Type: Large Public
  • Major: Sociology

Demographic Information

  • City: Suburb
  • State: Illinois
  • Race: White
  • Gender: Woman
  • Non-Traditional Applicant: Yes
  • Years out of Undergrad: 1-2 Years

Extra Curricular Information


Additional info & updates

7/2: Another crappy 161 in June....eight points below my PT average. Going to try to just enjoy the summer as stress has gotten the best of me. Retaking and conquering in October.

4/21 DePaul sent me an email stating that there are spots remaining and that they are going to look over the "priority consideration" and if I was still interested they will consider me and most likely offer me $15-20k. I like Kent more and they are offering more money so I won't take this offer. The situation is a YP and admit all in one. They can put it in their book as a rejection since they never formally admitted me....but we know better. This is an admit in my book.

4/21 Apparently Kent will not take no for an answer. After the tuition deposit deadline came and passed, Kent increased their scholarship offer to full tuition for the first year and 25k the following years. I would guess that would average around 30k a year. I most likely will turn it down though since I am not convinced that I certainly want to attend any of the remaining schools. I feel I will have a better insight where I stand next year.

4/8 Also edited my DePaul status. Deferral is more accurate than waitlisting in this situation.

4/8 Withdrawing from Kent today. They were my only outright acceptance in this cycle so far but I am very confident that I can do that much better on my LSAT to turn down their scholarship offer. I most certainly will reapply there next cycle regardless of LSAT score.

4/8 Officially rejected at U-Dub. I'm not too surprised as I saw the writing on the wall a week ago. I had to call the admissions office as the letter was taking very slowly to get to my abode. They graciously emailed me the letter. I am not saddened or torn up about this one as I was the Seattle waitlist or the St. Louis U rejection. Those schools sold me short because of a single incident that was far in my past. U-Dub, Kent, and even DePaul took me for me and I appreciate that. I have the numbers for the latter two , but not for the former.

3/27 I believe I have narrowed down why I have been underperforming this cycle. Seven years ago I was convicted of misdemeanor aggravated assault and four counts of battery. This was the only physical confrontation I had in my adult life and the only thing I have on my record. I suppose thus far all but Kent have found my addendum unsatisfying. Fortunately I have a gameplan for a better cycle the next time around.

3/25 Snail mail REJECTION from St. Louis U! This totally caught me by surprised and bruised my ego. When SLU starts rejecting someone with my numbers....there must be something very wrong with my application. More reason to blow it all up and start over again.

3/24 Got a "decision" from DePaul. They put me on something called "priority consideration." The jist of it all is that they really like me and all, but unable to offer admission until they find out how many people submit their tuition deposits in April. So it seems like an acceptance and waitlist in one. I'll hold out to see if they end up offering me mind blowing money. I'll put it down as a waitlist for now, but it is rather chartreuse and quite lulzy.

3/19 As predicted, SLU has come up with their decision before UW. The letter is in the mail. This despite going complete in late Feb for the former and early Dec for the latter. For me to attend SLU, the acceptance letter must be inside a big bag with a $ sign on it. Speaking of which, I saw Kent's financial aid offer. Despite an EFC of 0, I am only offered loans. This further emboldens me to try again next year if I don't get admitted to UW.

3/6 I suppose the greater news on my end is that I decided that it is UW or bust. In this cycle I realized that there were numerous things I could have done much better on my part to improve my chances of admission and getting scholarship money. In addition and probably most importantly, I completely reassessed what I wanted in a law school. I earlier fixated too much on location and ranking; now things such as overall cost, career prospects, and career location mean a lot to me as well. Also I feel that I didn't apply to a wide enough variety of schools to get a fair assessment of where I stand. If admitted to UW, I will still take the offer, in every hypothetical situation UW has always been in the top 3 of all schools (even if i can get into the likes of Harvard).

3/6 My UW status checker still has me in review, but the date has changed from 2/3 to 3/6. Makes me wonder if they review applications in bunches in accordance to the order in which they went complete, and they decided to defer mine to compare me to the rest of the field.

3/5 File complete at DePaul, should hear from them in 2-3 weeks.

3/4 Went from Under Review to File Complete at SLU...have no clue what the difference is here.

2/26 Complete at Loyola, already under review at Saint Louis. Still under review at UW since 2/3 (no blank screens). For some reason I bet Saint Louis's decision comes before UW's even though I just applied a few weeks ago. For some reason St. Louis has me as in-state despite not living in Missouri...interesting.

2/18 I got my acceptance letter from Kent through the mail. I was offered $20k a year merit scholarship based on academic performance or a $12k guaranteed for each three years. Staying near where I live now seems like the smart option, but my heart really wants to live and practice in Seattle. Still very bitter about the SU waitlisting...YOU'RE TEARING ME APART ADCOMMS!!!! In addition I have my St. Louis U status checker up and running. It will take nothing short of a full scholarship to choose them at this point

2/16 I now can get into the Loyola status checker. It will most likely take nothing short of a full scholarship to have me choose Loyola over Kent or any of the Seattle schools, but we'll see how it goes.

2/13 Just found out while I was hobnobbing with the awesome Tommy Wiseau last night, I got an email from Chicago-Kent..I'm in!!!! First acceptance! I am going to law school! I hope for some good scholarship money. However, I still hope to get acceptance to the two Seattle schools. Chicago is nice, but Seattle is nicer.

2/11 Applied to Loyola of Chicago via the free internet application. Also appiled to St. Louis University with a fee waiver. Still holding out hope on my top choices!

2/10: I applied to DePaul as an insurance policy today. They were quite sure I would get a fee waiver. My job search ever since graduating college has been fruitless, and right now I have reason to fear the same will happen in terms of law schools.

2/5: Inexpiclably I was waitlisted at Seattle U despite having a GPA and LSAT beyond the 75th percentile. Perhaps they didn't think I was serious about wanting to attend that school....quite disheartening. Now I feel that U-Dub is an even bigger long shot and that I will end up staying in Chicago...depressing.

Visitor Comments

You must be logged in to comment.
Not a registered user? Sign up now .
Saturday, November 14 2009 at 07:00 PM

If you're worried about your chances at UW and are seriously interested in SU, write a LOCI. It couldn't hurt.

Monday, February 08 2010 at 07:00 PM

I fully intend on sending a LOCI...I am debating on whether to send it now..or right before April when waitlist decisions are made. I fear I will nothing new to add if I sent two..I suppose I can just one focusing on one strength and the other focusing on a different strength.

Friday, July 10 2009 at 08:00 PM

Yeah Sociology majors! Good luck with UW too. I've got my fingers crossed.

Wednesday, December 30 2009 at 07:00 PM

Wow! I am really surprised to stumble upon someone else that was hoping for a Seattle school while living in Chicago. I really don't understand why Seattle would waitlist you. I am sure you will get off that soon. I am hoping for you. Hang in there! UW is being terribly slow about everything.

Friday, July 10 2009 at 08:00 PM

When did you go complete at UW?

Wednesday, December 30 2009 at 07:00 PM

Thanks for the words. I hope that things work for you. I spent the weekend at a small school in Florida and kind of re-evaluated what I want from a school, so the blow of UW was much more softened. :) Maybe we'll be classmates at Seattle! Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you.

Wednesday, December 30 2009 at 07:00 PM

Still no news on any of the other schools? This has to be frustrating! I see you're getting the stupid comments too. Why is everyone so concerned about why people want to live in Seattle? Don't these people have better things to do with their lives?

About Seattle
Monday, February 08 2010 at 07:00 PM

I personally don't take affront to those comments. I will be glad to answer those questions. Of all the places I have traveled to, Seattle was my favorite. I have friends who live there and I thirst for a new place to start over. I can go on for other reasons, but this doesn't need to be long winded. Although if I could get into U of Chicago or Northwestern I would have no hesitation about staying in Chicago.

Wednesday, December 30 2009 at 07:00 PM

Good luck with everything. I hope that you can get into your top choice, and it's great you have a backup plan. I had considered taking a year and improving my LSAT to see what happens. It seems you only had one comment which wasn't bad. Another person had a few different people come to their profile and leave rather nasty comments. I just find it a really weird thing to do. I am not a fan of a few places I have lived, but I would never seek another person out to tell them that. I just think it's weird that people feel you need to explain your decisions because we all have extenuating circumstances. Good luck with everything! :)

Monday, February 08 2010 at 07:00 PM

In my preliminary search for schools, I admit I fixated too much on location and ranking. If I do not get into UW, I plan on applying to a more diverse scale of schools based on my LSAT score. In order of preference I would like to work in Seattle, Chicago, or St. Louis. Northwestern and U of Chicago have the prestige to keep me in my second choice location. UIUC doesn't. In addition I don't find Champaign the most interesting city to be in for three years. I may apply to there the next cycle anyway to see if I can get a really good deal though. If I had the LSAT score for Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, and the likes...I would apply there. But this time around, I do not. UW is more in reach and I would love to practice in Seattle.

I understand...
Sunday, June 21 2009 at 08:00 PM

I have lived in Seattle my whole life and I understand why you want to live here. I love it and it would take an incredible scholarship at a good school to make me move. So, hang in there for UW (I'm waiting on them too) and good luck on getting off the SU waitlist. I'm sure you're chances are really good!

Saturday, October 24 2009 at 08:00 PM

re: your 3/6 post - I totally understand the shift from ranking/location to cost of attendance and career prospects. I have been all about Seattle U up to this point but am re-considering U Buffalo because of in-state tuition and good reputation in NY State (although I'm adventurous, and would love to move across the country, I'm really partial to my home state). Anyway, good luck with UW, I hope you are accepted! Law school is a big investment, you want to be happy. If that means you need to apply again next year with a different frame of mind, than so be it. Best of luck!

Sunday, June 21 2009 at 08:00 PM

Yes, we are in the same boat, still waiting on UW. I totally support your decision to hold out for a school you love. However, a friend of mine went to Gonzaga his first year and then transferred to Seattle U his second year. He is getting better grades at SU and he loves it. So, instead of waiting a year, you might consider attending an inexpensive school this year and re-applying next year when you wow them with your excellent first year scores. Just a thought! :)

About transferring
Monday, February 08 2010 at 07:00 PM

I have considered that and I thought I would be much happier giving myself a better array of schools to apply to and increasing that LSAT score rather than settling for a school I'm not too high on at this moment. It would save me money to wow them with excellent LSAT scores rather than spend one year of law school already. Transferring is more difficult than it seems anyway.

Friday, February 19 2010 at 07:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right, I'll probably end up waiting out the wait-lists just in case and if nothing comes of that I'll retake/reapply.

Saturday, October 24 2009 at 08:00 PM

Thanks! I hardly consider a 161 to be "bombing" the LSAT! Give yourself some more credit! I had no intention of re-taking the LSAT (my life only got exponentially busier once I graduated from college), so I really focused on my personal statement, and getting good LORs. I was also pretty strategic about what "reaches" I applied to. I knew Berkeley would actually look at my application, whereas some other Top 10 schools would've probably trashed it as soon as they saw my LSAT. It's good to do some research into the individual schools and find a good match, not just LSAT/numbers wise, but personality wise as well. That way when the admissions committee is reading your application hopefully it will be something that resonates with them.