Scholarships are total over 3 yrs.
"Choice" is USNWR ranking
6/4/10 -reflecting on my application cycle : Wow, just, wow. As of 6/2 I was convinced I was going to Seattle U, which I was happy about. Then, on 6/3, literally my dream came true and I was admitted to UC Berkeley. As much as I love Seattle and SU, I can't pass on an opportunity like Berkeley - massive, ridiculous, huge debt and all. I went through the entire process with Berkeley - faculty committee, wait list, then acceptance, so please message me or post a comment if you have any questions about the admissions process. I also definitely spent more time on my Berkeley application than any other, sent them a total of 6 letters of recommendation (4 via the LSDAS, and 2 extras I had reserved as scholarship LORs that spoke to my background in public service), an addendum about my LSAT score (including my old SAT scores), and what I thought was a very personal, heart-felt, well written letter once I found out I was being reviewed by the Faculty Committee. I imagine I was towards the top of the 1st quartile, because Berkeley said they would take action after June 1st, and I was admitted on the 3rd. This application cycle could not have gone better - only 1 rejection (silly UConn), and I was admitted to quite literally my dream law school, with a 7.14% chance of getting in, according to Hourumd. Take that, LSAT. So PLEASE, do NOT sell yourself short or be discouraged if you're a typical splitter like me - high GPA with low LSAT. If you went to a good school, pursued interesting work opportunities, perhaps have an advanced degree, etc., you don't need a 170 to get into a top 10! I think what helped me most with Berkeley was a strong personal statement, my LSAT addendum, and an abundant amount of strong LORs. Good luck to everyone in completing their 09-10 application cycle, and best of luck to the upcoming 10-11 applicants!
6/3/10: ADMITTED TO BOALT! Received an e-mail around 8:30 pm east coast time, on my phone, in the middle of a crowded commuter train. I was so excited I immediately began crying and jumping for joy. In at Berkeley with a 157, I'm amazed. Literally this was my DREAM school -- goes to show you LSAT isn't everything!!
5/21/10: received an e-mail from UC Berkeley saying they will most likely be using their waiting list in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed!
5/17/10: Came home to awesome news - I was accepted to USD off the wait list, for the full-time program, no scholarship money. Decided not to attend - SD has beautiful weather, but I visited the school twice and I get a better feeling at Seattle, plus despite the weather, I actually like Seattle better as a city.
5/3/10: Found out I'm in the 1st quartile of the UC Berkeley waiting list...I'm pretty pumped, considering this means there's still a (small) chance I'll make it in off the wait list! Won't hear anything from them again until after June 1.
4/30/10: WL'd at USD. My cycle is officially over. Final count: 10 acceptances, 1 rejection, 5 wait lists. Not bad!
4/7/10: Mailed my 1st deposit to Seattle U today, and put the static cling sticker they sent me on the back of my car, right underneath the one from my college. It's official!! I will be calling Seattle my new home by the end of the summer.
4/6/10: Had a great visit at Buffalo, but its just not for me. Am mailing my seat deposit to Seattle this week. Not withdrawing from any wait lists, but the only one id really consider is Berkeley's at this point, and even then not 100% sure id go b/c its SO expensive. Will post my final thoughts on my cycle here soon.
4/5/10: Waitlisted at Northeastern. A little disappointed, but it makes my decision easier.
4/4/10: Happy Easter :) Visiting Buffalo tomorrow and Tuesday. Going to meet with someone who did the same teaching program in NYC as me and sit in on a class with her Monday evening, then do the formal tour, class visit, meeting with admissions on Tuesday morning, then it's back to work on Wednesday - busy week! We'll see how Buffalo compares to Seattle. Anxious for my letter from Northeastern to arrive.
4/3/10: Northeastern status checker says Decision Letter Mailed on 4/1/10. No idea what to expect here. I applied EA and was deferred. I really love Northeastern, but at this point truly cannot afford to attend law school without any scholarship money (i.e. "free" money) from a school. If I am accepted, not expecting any money since I was deferred and am hearing so late in the cycle. We'll see. Also still no movement on status checker at USD. Starting to think they forgot about me.
4/1/10: Just returned from Seattle, and loved every minute of it. Not only is it an amazing city (a nicer, cleaner, prettier version of NY, in my own opinion), the school itself is great. Gorgeous new facilities, every student I met was friendly and articulate, and I sat in on two excellent classes with very engaging professors. Overall I had an amazing visit and truly love SU Law as well as the city of Seattle. Keeping an open mind for my upcoming visit to Buffalo.
Visiting Seattle 3/27-4/1, Visiting Buffalo 4/5-4/6. I'll give myself the rest of that week to mull it over, which gives me just a few days before the seat deposit deadlines to make my final decision. Hopefully that's all the time I'll need. Here's to hoping that I can make up my mind by April 15th. Considering withdrawing from the Wisconsin WL, probably going to stay on at American in case they accept me part-time that would provide an interesting option, and obviously staying on the WL at Berkeley (will find out more related to my rank on the WL in May).
3/21/10: When I began this process in August, I *never* thought my top two would be Seattle and Buffalo, but here I am, at the end of March, and I'm visiting Seattle at the end of the week, and Buffalo the following week. Both have very different pros/cons, and I have no idea which I'm leaning towards as it changes on any given day. I'm hoping my visits are eye opening, and that by April 15th I'll be able to make an informed decision and choose one of the two. My reasons for withdrawing from the rest of the schools include: why go to a T3 when I got into Top 100 schools, and at this point I refuse to pay sticker price at any school, because I do not want to be tied down to debt upon graduation. Basically Buffalo is the cheaper option, but Seattle has an arguably "better" location. Other than that, I need to objectively compare the classes I sit in on, and the students and faculty I meet in order to make a decision.
3/19/10: My first rejection, from U Conn, a school I had no intention of attending anyway. Doesn't even sting a bit. Moving on. Now only waiting on two more - Northeastern and USD. Expecting a rejection from USD, and not really sure what to expect from Northeastern. I know Northeastern will make a decision before April 15th, so hopefully I'll have heard back from everywhere within the next few weeks.
3/18/10: deferred at L&C. It's clearly because I applied extremely late, and my LSAT isn't outstanding. They said they would notify me in "late April or early May" about whether there are any seats available, and at that time i could either be admitted, denied, or wait listed. I'm withdrawing because I'm already in at Seattle, so I have the PNW covered, and L&C was a last minute application anyway. I really can't play these waiting games any more. Also decided if I don't hear from USD by April 15th I'm withdrawing (which is very possible, no movement on my app since September). Also wasn't offered any money at GMU, so most likely not going there. Only 3 more schools left!
3/17/10: making plans to visit Buffalo the week before seat deposit is due, and a few days after I get back from Seattle, so I'll be able to compare the two. Although Buffalo loses for location, it has a good reputation in NY State and is so incredibly cheap that I need to go visit and give it a fair chance.
3/16/10: another update to L&C online status. Date changed from 3/9 to 3/16. Not sure if this means i'm still in review or if a decision has been made. Last date change indicated I was in review, which is why I'm thinking perhaps this means a decision has been made. I e-mailed admissions to inquire about the change in date. We'll see! I'd love to know before I visit Seattle, so I can plan a day-trip to Portland! *Update: L&C says I will hear from them "very soon." I love how communicative their admissions representatives are, seriously, they reply really fast and are always detailed in their e-mails. A little goes a long way.
3/9/10: My application status date at L&C changed from 3/4 to 3/9, but the status didn't change. I'm sure this is an indication of something, just not sure what. Either it means my application is being reviewed, or a decision has been made. Anyone who applied to L&C have any insight?
3/1/10: WL'd at Wisconsin via e-mail. Happy to still be in the running, frustrated that my WL count is now up to 3.
2/26/10: Officially bought my plane ticket to Seattle. Traveling in late march/early april. If I like SU enough when I visit, and I've heard from everywhere else by then, I plan on putting my seat deposit down during my trip. Hopefully I'll have heard back from L&C by then, so I can make a quick day-trip to Portland to check it out. If get in to L&C and I like both L&C and Seattle the same, I'll probably put a deposit down at both, and wait and see if L&C comes through with any scholarship money. However, all schools I haven't yet withdrawn from are still in the running. Waiting to hear about a scholarship from U Denver and GMU, still need to give UB a fair chance because of how cheap tuition would be, but Seattle still comes out on top in terms of location/mid-price range/generally a good fit
2/25/10: Applied to Lewis and Clark after a lot of last minute research. I kicked myself for not applying to U Washington, so I looked into L&C and realized it would be a very good fit, and is slightly higher ranked than Seattle, plus Portland looks beautiful and I've taken a keen interest in the Pacific Northwest. I e-mailed L&C and they gave me a fee waiver because of my teaching program, and I asked them upfront whether my relatively late application would prevent me from getting any merit-based scholarship money, and as I predicted they said yes, as of right now, because they've given out all their award money. However, after April they will re-consider me for a merit based award depending upon who has withdrawn at that point...that is if I get in.
2/18/10: wait listed at uc berkeley...things just got very interesting! *just read that they usually put 200-300 applicants on the WL, and admit very few (one year they admitted 12, the furthest into the WL they've ever gone was 40). The Faculty Committee determines your personal rank when they evaluate your application, and I'll know my quartile ranking (not exact personal ranking) on May 1st. Because of the ranking system, there's nothing you can do to increase your chances of admission off the wait list. So the waiting game continues. I'm honored to be WL'd at such an amazing school, and this is really the one school I'd change my plans for if I'm admitted off the WL later in the summer. I found out via a very nice and informative e-mail.
2/15/10: visited GMU today. Very impressive facilities, and sat in on a great class. Overall got a very good impression of the school. Did notice way more men in the class than women, and the prof. only cold called men...very different atmosphere from the womens college I attended, but not sure this is really indicative of anything. Glad I visited, GMU is still at the top of my list.
2/1/10: received official updated scholarship info. from Seattle. $7,500, renewable each year as long as I stay in the top 25% of my class.
1/29/10: Officialy withdrew from Santa Clara, but still get their e-mails, wondering if my e-mail went through?
1/28/10: "The Committee will begin deliberation on your application on January 29th. We anticipate a final decision will be reached on or around February 19th" - PLEASE send good thoughts my way tomorrow! Berkeley's Faculty Committee reviews my application in the 2nd round and I can use all of the luck I can get. Going to keep my fingers crossed all day long, avoid any potential jinxes, and generally send some good vibes to the west coast. At least either way the pain and suffering of waiting for a decision will be over by Feb. 19th, only a few weeks away.
1/28/10: Told by Denver that I'm not being considered for scholarship money right now. Bummer. Applied for separate scholarship, no idea what my chances are. Fingers crossed for some money from them.
1/27/10: Making travel plans to visit schools. GMU in Feb., perhaps UBuffalo in March, and Seattle in late March/early April. Trying to get as many in before 4/15 as I can.
1/26/10: Note: GMU hasn't awarded any scholarship money yet, they begin sending out awards around March.
*1/25/10: was awarded more money from Seattle! Found out via e-mail, which also included extremely helpful information about how the school supports students interested in pursuing public interest law. Seattle rocks.
*1/23/10: Received official acceptance packet from GMU. No scholarship information.
*1/22/10: Got my official acceptance packet from NY Law. $15,000/yr Dean's Scholar award, if in top 15% of class by end of year can join the Honor's Program. Will most likely withdraw soon.
*1/21/10: IN AT GEORGE MASON! via phone call. SO excited that I made my way into the Top 50! (GMU is ranked #41)! Plus, the location is really fantastic, my boyfriend is looking into a PhD program at UMaryland, so this is a great option for me. Will receive official packet soon. Only 5 more schools left!!
*1/21/10: In at Denver via e-mail. My status check said "decision processed" since yesterday, although my decision status date said 12/12/09 for some strange reason.
*1/15/10: Wow, Waitlisted at American! Found out via status checker. So many decisions on one day. I'm SO happy not to be rejected. *Update: I chose to be placed on either the part-time or full-time waiting list, since it increases your chance of admission.
*1/15/10: Accepted to NY Law. Status checker says "Admitted with Scholarship" but it doesn't say how much.
*1/15/10: Received my official acceptance packet from Seattle U. $3,000 Community Service stipend, but otherwise no scholarship information, which is pretty disappointing. I'm going to e-mail/call to see if I can appeal. I'd love to go to Seattle, but I can't afford to finance law school solely via loans .
*Also Accepted to Drexel via phone call and e-mail. $10k/yr contingent upon a 2.67 GPA or higher.
1/11/10: My application was sent to the Faculty Admissions Committee at Berkeley, which means it passed an "initial administrative review." Applicants are either automatically admitted or denied by the Dean's office, then the remaining ones are sent to this committee. I think this is noteworthy considering my LSAT score. According to the e-mail, my app. will be reviewed on January 29th, and a final decision should be reached by February 19th. I'm really thrilled that I wasn't an automatic reject at Berkeley - even if I'm rejected (which I likely will be) at least I know they gave me their full consideration!
1/9/10: Deferred into the regular admission applicant pool at Northeastern. I'm disappointed, but it's better than a rejection. In the letter they said a decision will be reached by April 15. Got the letter one day after status checker said "decision letter mailed," came in small thin envelope.
1/8/10: In at Seattle via status checker! So excited :) I actually checked because I saw someone else on LSN recently got accepted via status checker. I checked earlier in the day and it still said "pending" but I figured I'd check later since they're on west coast time. 6 for 6, i'm pretty pumped!
1/8/10: Decision mailed from Northeastern. Stauts date says "1/4/2010" and under mailings it says "Decision letter mailed, 1/8/2010" I am going to be obsessively checking the mail next week. Also my file went into committee at Drexel today - i noticed my status date changed so I email admissions, they emailed me back within 2 minutes, a very nice & informative reply.
*12/26: Received scholarship info from Hofstra - $30,000/yr, renewable each year as long as I maintain standing in the top 40% of the class.
12/22: applied to GMU because it was free and my boyfriend is looking at U Maryland for grad. school. And because it's an amazing school, duh.
*12/21: Hofstra status checker says "Honors Scholarship" info. mailed - no word on how much yet.
*12/17: Received a generous scholarship offer from Suffolk! $30,000 Trustee Academic Scholarship. Renewable each year with a 3.0 GPA or higher. That brings tuition per year to about $9,000/year. This is the first offer that can actually compete with Buffalo. I'd definitely rather be in Boston than in Buffalo, but Buffalo is arguably a much "better" school in terms of ranking. Either way, I'm excited about this offer.
*12/15: In at Hofstra via status checker. Nothing about money yet, hoping there will be something when the big envelope comes in the mail. Still, it's going to be hard for any lower ranked school to compete with Buffalo's offer. I'm thrilled to be 5 for 5 right now, but I'm still very anxious to hear back from my top choices.
12/9: Got my official acceptance packet from Rutgers Newark today. No $ info. *update: found out i'm not being considered for any merit scholarships at Rutgers. This makes it hard for them to compete with Buffalo.
*12/7: In at SUNY Buffalo!! I'm feeling some SERIOUS love for my home state right now! Came in large envelope via regular mail, and my acceptance also came with a personal note from the Dean of Admissions. They also sent me a very attractive offer: a $5,000 merit scholarship per year AND a position as a "Faculty Research Scholar" to do research with a faculty member the summer after my first year or during my 2nd year. Research position is contingent upon getting a B plus average or higher throughout my 1st year.
*12/3 - 3rd acceptance! Got an email today from Rutgers Newark!! I'm thrilled! Rutgers has really strong clinical programs in education/special education law, and the Education Law Center is based out of Newark.
*11/30 - A post-Thanksgiving present - I got accepted to Suffolk today. This makes me 2 for 2...that first rejection letter is going to sting. I'm glad I now have options on the west and east coast.
*FIRST ACCEPTANCE: On 11/4 my Santa Clara status checker said "Admitted.' Later in the week it said "Decision Mailed' and today on 11/9 I finally got the big envelope in the mail! I'm going to law school! It finally feels "real."