Received date is the date the school requested my report or the date I received notification from the school that they received my application, whichever came first.
Complete, of course, is when the school notified me that my application was complete.
Decision date is currently the date I received the decision, rather than, for example, the date the status checker changed to decision.
9/19 - In at Duke priority track via email - did not write a why Duke.
11/5 - All complete but Yale...getting a bit concerned about that one. I couldn't possibly have deleted the email, right?
11/13 - Michigan status checker changed to decision
11/16 - In at Michigan! Summer start, regular decision. Via mail, did not write a why Michigan essay.
12/3 - Darrow invite from Michigan via email
12/8 - NYU!!! Rather plain envelope, nice purple folder inside though!
12/17 - Deferred at Cornell via mail...huh...rather miffed about that - that pretty much kills my interest, especially given their statement that I must email to be considered after Feb 1st - why would I apply if I didn't want to be considered? Which is a shame, because I sort of liked Cornell... cold doesn't scare me, small is nice... but it's sort
of a why would I like you if you didn't like me deal (I'll get over it soon)
12/18 - After reviewing my Cornell application, I see nothing out of sorts - the application included exactly the same things that were sent to all the other schools, except that Cornell didn't exclude traffic violations so they got a note about my three, very normal, speeding tickets, and a Dean's cert - which shouldn't have been an issue. My application isn't straightforward, but I currently have no idea why I was deferred given my acceptances to other schools, since they received the same information - it would seem more logical if I hadn't been accepted to other schools already. I'd really like to call to ask why...
12/19 - Got the Darrow phone call this afternoon - full tuition plus stipend! Michigan currently at the top of my (still short) list. Not so sad about Cornell anymore. Still psyched that the school called me (on the phone, talking, to give me the news - like put some extra effort into it) - it's my first call) - absolutely thrilled. Apparently, decided by someone else, 133k is the number this year (approx 42k tuition per year plus what I believe is a 7.5k stipend - I'll update when I get it in writing if it's any different). (135k quoted in the letter, but I'm not seeing the math...)
1/5/08 - Status checker changed on UVA to say a decision had been made late yesterday....
1/9/08 - The UVA "Committee on Admissions has voted" to offer me admission. Which is nice. The word voted seems odd (like it wasn't a consensus?), but I guess as long as it's in the context of an acceptance it doesn't really matter and I'm happy with it anyway. Regular sized, thin envelope. Postmarked 1/7, even though my status checker said 1/4. Sadly, nothing about money.
Also, after exactly 3 months, Yale finally sent a complete notice - I had about given up, since I wasn't missing anything when I submitted the application. I feel better knowing they've at least looked at it now. Northwestern is a little late too...so much for 6-8 weeks to a decision (but I'll take an acceptance at anytime :) ).
I guess I can add withdrawn to Cornell by default, since I'm not going ask to be considered after Feb 1.
1/10 - Got that email from Boalt - the one that says my app has passed the initial review - and that the committee will begin deliberating on Jan 28th and I can expect a decision in mid-February. Is it a good sign that I got the email a month after they started sending them? I'm not inclined to mark deferred, since they're telling me they'll consider it in 18 days...
1/14 - Happy Monday...Penn rejection via snail mail. Nice to be in the first wave of RD rejections, makes me somehow feel special. Anyone else think it odd that I got a Darrow from Michigan and a rejection from Penn? I guess I get to be that little dot on the graph this year (or the ABA data sheet) that everyone points to and says, what did she do? Nothing different for Penn than anywhere else. Didn't have a particular reason for Penn, which may have come across in my choice not to write a Why Penn. I am a bit insulted that they couldn't be bothered to fold the letter properly - the folds are all uneven and diagonal, guess they really wanted to get it out the door. (Just looked...Penn doesn't do the little LSAT/GPA chart - bummer. I was looking forward to being on that)
1/21 - In at Northwestern via .pdf (I'm not sure how I feel about the electronic letter idea) - I was getting worried - 14.5 weeks, and their financial aid forms need to be sumbitted crazy early (Feb 1), so I wanted to know (I wasn't going to bother if they were going to defer me). Better late than never though :)
(I've realized that the rejection from Penn did leave me a little shaken (but not about Penn specifically, although I wouldn't have predicted straight rejection) - I received another letter for Michigan and thought, for a moment, that it was going to be the letter where they tell me they've looked at things again and realized, just kidding, they want their money back)
1/28 - Where is my NU admit package? 1 mile down the street at the Fed Ex building...where it's been since the wee hours of the morning. What's it still doing there, you ask? Apparently Fed Ex is so determined to deliver on the date they give when you ship that they're willing to sit on my package until 1/30, the estimated delivery date...my status updates: 4:24am at local Fed Ex facility, 6:30am package not due for delivery, 9:07am package not due for delivery, 9:23 am package not due for delivery - someone picked up my package at least 4 times this morning, long enough to scan it, but yet, not to deliver it...
And since I'm adding meaningless comments, I'd like to state, as many have already, that I think the Harvard status checker is pointless, and perhaps even cruel...yes, it's great to know that my app has been under review since 10/19, but you're going to email me to call me or email me to reject me, so you exist only so I have one more thing to stare as as my application crawls towards a decision...(whatever happened to Harvard's 2 month window for a response...shouldn't I have at least been put on hold by now?)
1/30 - Finally got NU's admit package - it was definitely worth the wait...I'm impressed. Can't do the ASW but will be visiting next month. Sadly nothing from Columbia, no word from Chicago...
(and it occurs to me that the world does not revolve around me and perhaps the Harvard status checker IS useful to those who applied later and are anxiously awaiting complete status)
2/5 Held at Chicago via snail mail. I'm really just done - I'm not interested in jumping through any more admissions hoops. If I'm held, they won't give me any money, so, compared to Michigan, there's really no point (and their loan repayment program is awful so they would have had to give me money up front for it to be feasible, given my PI leanings)...but it's Chicago so I'm sure I will grudgingly send off another letter of recommendation and contemplate writing another few pages on something totally meaningless...I really just want a final decision. On everyone. Good or bad, I'm out of patience - this is really starting to feel like torture. And can I just point out that the likelihood that I get another letter of recommendation into LSAC in time for LSAC to process it in time for Chicago to get it is slim to none? And while it may be "optional," I'm sure the likelihood of eventual admission is heavily depenent on supplementing your application, so I'm not sure why they even pretend that it isn't a requirement/expectation.
An hour later...less bitter now, still frustrated - I feel like it's as good as a no, but they're going to draw it out as long as possible. And I still don't like the optional essay choices...
2/6 Guess it pays to submit your financial aid stuff early (NU did process it ridiculously quickly though - less than a week) - 90k from Northwestern (30k per year)!Things just got a little harder...
I've decided I'm sending an additional letter of rec to Chicago, but that's it - we'll see if it gets there in time (hopefully fed ex-ing it works just as well now as earlier in the season)
2/7 Held at Harvard via email - which I'm pretty happy with considering the other option at this stage is rejection. I'll be supplementing my app with at least another letter - If I could do this over, I would have an extra letter on standby, instead of having to worry about timing and fed ex-ing.
Decided to mark Berkeley deferred, since that's basically what it was...it just took me a while to adjust. And has anyone else noticed that Northwestern costs give or take 195k over three years? $195,000. I hadn't added until I got the scholarship, and then realized I'd still have to borrow over 100k. Ouch. I'm hoping NU is the worst.
2/13 Fedexing the letter of rec to LSAC worked just as well this time as it had earlier - overnighted it (in case it took longer to process), signed for at 10:28am, processed same day - beautiful. Also overnighted my Harvard LOCI and letter...because I could...
And held at Columbia via snail mail. Will likely withdraw, just need to make sure there isn't a reason I really want to go there.
2/19 - Recent visit to Northwestern. Really liked it - the people were great, faculty, staff, and students. I actually liked Chicago (I don't consider myself a city person) - it seemed managable, public transit seemed doable, and supposedly the neighborhoods are different enough that most people find an area they really like living. I like the idea that they have externship/practicum opportunities during the year, that Chicago can support that, that students can stay over the summer because the city has jobs/internships they like (I'm not a fan of the idea of subletting...but that's a small detail). Highly recommend emailing the dir of admissions, if you're visiting on a day other than the ASW - she was able to connect me with people in my areas of interest, everyone was happy to give me some time even if I was just stopping in, students were happy to talk about their experience, sections are small (60), I actually see the advantages of having a campus separate from the undergrad campus. I loved that it is right on the lake - I thought it was beautiful - and that was in the cold with some snow. I also realized how distracting it is to sit in a class with 60 students typing on their computer. I know I started with this, but I really liked the people (I suspect "feel" is what it will come down to for me). It's rather agonizing that I liked it so much, because I can see myself going there (I'm ready to move there tomorrow, though I've been mentally living in Ann Arbor for several months, so that's not unique), which means I am going to have a difficult decision with Michigan. NU also said, just kidding, have a Wigmore, which eliminates any real financial difference between the two schools (That was the moment I loved NU) - I have a feeling I'm going to really like Michigan too, and I'll have a really hard time deciding.
And I need to adjust to the idea of withdrawing, because there is no point in staying in on schools I know I won't go to. Maybe this weekend I'll make that my project.
2/22 - NYU called to invite me to interview for the Root-Tilden-Kern. I'll be heading up there in April. Berkeley mailed to say they'd rejected me (I didn't send anything additional to them). Saves me a withdrawal letter.
2/28 - 54k from Duke. Not even close. Especially considering that with the joint degree program, I'm paying for 7 semesters. Withdrawing so someone else can get the money (I don't actually think it works that way, but there is no use hanging on to the offer if I'm not going to accept it).
3/12 - Rejected from Yale - at least they didn't make me wait until April.
3/16 - Returned from Michigan's ASW. Met some very cool people - admitted and current students. I didn't realize it was going to be so exhausting. Really liked most of the school, just ran in to some unexpected downsides (I'm sure unique to me), so I'm not sure where that leaves me.
3/20 - The Michigan people are lovely and my downsides seem to have been addressed and eliminated in the past few days. Withdrew from Chicago, Columbia, and UVA - can't stomach the idea of having to borrow enormous amounts of money given my option at Michigan, even if the first two did let me in. Also hoping to set myself up to be able to make a final decision after the RTK interview at NYU (and offer, or non-offer). I think I know what I'm leaning towards, but I'd want to know about Harvard and Stanford. I also want that packet about the RTK interview that NYU promised this week :(
4/6 - RTK offer from NYU after admit and interview days. 123k is my best estimate based on current tuition. Will be calling Stanford and Harvard to see if I can't get a final decision before NYU's deadline - not optimistic, but I'll give it a try.
4/7 - Harvard and Stanford were not swayed by my pending deadline - I got the standard it's hard to predict when a decision will be made line. Was worth a try. Did learn that I was still before the committee at Stanford, which means, I think, that I'm not already in the rejection pile (or waitlist pile, or lost), which I guess is not bad news?
4/8 - Turned down the RTK at NYU...I know it is the right decision, but still, telling someone you don't want 123k isn't easy.
4/9 - Rejection letter from Stanford - more of a relief than a disappointment. Michigan it is!!! (It's almost like getting the Michigan acceptance again) I'll wait to see whether Harvard isa waitlist or rejection, just out of curiousity. Stanford letter dated April 4, mailed April 7, guess their computer wasn't quite up to date when I called...
4/22 - And the email from Harvard...I'd like to think it was because I emailed them about the RTK and they figured I was going to NYU, but I'll never know, and it doesn't really matter anyway. 4.5 weeks until classes start at Michigan!!!