Dec. 12, 2005: All apps are complete. I decided to toss an app to L&C, because I spoke with them at the LSAC forum in NY and liked what I heard. Plus they won't leave me alone with mailings and e-mails. Double plus, I like Portland. Triple plus, Scholarship $?
Jan. 15, 2006: Waiting patiently, checking mailbox, inbox, and Application Updates compulsively.
Jan. 27, 2006: I think I might throw out some late apps to Univ. of San Diego and Seattle U.
1. Hedge my bets, give myself some more options.
2. I might have a better shot at Scholarship $ at Seattle U. and maybe USD.
3. If I don't get into U of W (which is likely) then I might go to Seattle U (if they give me some scholarship dollars), and if I'm not totally happy I can try to transfer to UW next year.
4. If I don't get into Hastings and USD is willing to give me more money than Loyola, then I would rather be in SD than LA.
Jan. 27, 2006 (later): UW rejection came in small, white, suspiciously empty envelope. This was my real first pick, so it was difficult for my first response to be a rejection from them. On the bright side 1 down 7 to go.
Jan. 29, 2006: Apps away to USD and Seattle U. I would really like to get into UC Hastings, but if that doesn't happen for me I think that scholarship money will make the difference for me.
Feb. 3, 2006: Accepted at L&C! I got a call from their Admissions office today. They offered a $7,000 a year scholarship. Glad to have one acceptance under my belt!
Feb. 6, 2006: I received the acceptance packet from L&C today. It came in a big white envelope. They offered to pay $350 toward my expenses to fly out and visit the campus in late March. I might take them up on it.
Feb. 9, 2006: The NY Times reported today that "Applications to Law Schools Are Declining"
According to the article:
"Last year, for the first time since the 1997-98 admission cycle, the number of applicants to law school declined, by 4.6 percent, and so far this year, the number has declined by 9.5 percent."
Less competition=good news.
Feb. 15, 2006: Okay, so it's officially mid-February. This is about the time I had considered the sweet spot for hearing back from schools, especially considering my early application to most of them. I'm still not complete at USD and Seattle, but hey I applied late. Is U of O trying to build anticipation or something? Nobody on LSN has heard back yet. Come on Ducks get it together!
Feb. 16, 2006: I finally received my UCLA rejection letter. This was a serious reach school, so I had expected this sooner. Anyway, three down five to go. Came in a small white envelope.
Feb. 21, 2006: Now that's what I call turnaround. I applied to USD on 1/29 and received my acceptance packet (large yellowish envelope) on 2/21. I am filling out and returning the financial aid application. They will have to offer a pretty good amount of financial aid for me to be able to afford going there and living in San Diego. Here's hoping. I'm batting .500 now.
Feb. 24, 2006: I had predicted to hear back from two schools this week. That prediction was bolstered by a Tuesday acceptance to USD, but alas it's Friday and I haven't heard from any other schools.
A few other frustrations:
1. The application status check on Seattle's website still has my file as incomplete (and nothing received), even though I applied via LSDAS and they cashed my application check over a week ago.
2. U of O has yet to reply to anyone on LSN, what gives?
At least I'm halfway there.
Feb. 24, 2006 (later): I exchanged e-mails with SU admissions regarding my incomplete file. They were very helpful and quick to reply. As I suspected they are experiencing a lag in application processing, so even though my check has been cashed they haven't gotten around to updating the status on their website.
Feb. 28, 2006: Seattle U updated my status to "file complete - pending decision." Crossing my fingers for a another quick decision.
Mar. 3, 2006: I have decided that my chances of getting into Hastings are so slim that I should just eliminate the possibility from my thinking. I've also decided that, because of my numbers, I probably won't hear back from them until April, and then it will most likely be a waitlist or a rejection. I've also suspect that Loyola most likely won't offer me any scholarship money and at $31k a year and being unfortunately located in L.A. drops it to the bottom of my list. That leaves me with fours schools to consider: USD, L&C, U of O, and Seattle U. I should be able to wrangle some scholarship money from each of those schools and maybe enough from each to take tuition out of the equation. So...which do I choose? There are + and - to each, but I'll have to wait to see if my predictions come true.
Mar. 4, 2006: I received my acceptance letter from University of Oregon today. They have offered a $6,000 scholarship. I also received my financial aid package from L & C.
Mar. 5, 2006: I received a call today from a recent grad from U of O. She called during the Oscars so I didn't pick up, but in the message she said she was calling to congratulate me on my acceptance and find out if I had any questions for her about U of O Law. She also said she would e-mail me later in the week. I think that's a pretty nice touch and will probably give her a call back tomorrow.
Mar. 15, 2006: I spoke to Trystan an Oregon grad. She was very friendly and extremely happy with her time at U of O, but what do you expect from someone that volunteers to call admitted students who are on the fence. She didn't quite sell me on it, but if I don't get any money from USD, it will definitely be in consideration.
Mar. 17, 2006: I spoke with Jessica in Admissions at U of O. She was really helpful and pleasant to talk to. She graduated from L&C Law and had plenty of good things to say about both programs. I was glad to talk to her, interestingly enough it helped dispell some of the rumors I had heard about L&C.
Mar. 18. 2006: I'm very impatiently waiting for the following:
1. Financial aid offer from USD.
2. An answer from Seattle U, Loyola, and Hastings.
Hopefully, I'll get some answers next week, at least on item #1.
Mar. 23, 2006: I spoke with USD Admissions and Financial Aid today, which was somewhat disheartening. I had admissions extend my seat deposit deadline by two weeks, because I haven't received my financial aid offer yet. Then I asked FinAid when I could expect my offer to come rolling in, and they said that they had not received my FAFSA info yet! I applied late to USD and had to call FAFSA to add them to my distribution list. The FAFSA customer service rep added USD instead of USD Law, arrggh. I corrected the problem and FinAid officer told me that I could call tomorrow to get a rough estimate of what they would offer me. I asked about scholarships and she basically said that those decisions had been made and I shouldn't expect to be offered anything besides loans. If this is true, USD is out of the running. Too much $$$$. I also, asked U of O to extend my deadline by two weeks because their first deposit is $400! It might all come down to U of O or L&C. Yikes, I didn't expect that.
Mar. 27, 2006: Seattle U online status checker updated to "Decision Mailed." It should arrive shortly, and I'll update at that time.
Mar. 31, 2006: I'm in San Francisco for my sister's white coat ceremony, so I arranged to tour UC Hastings. I liked what I saw. The location is great, right near UN Plaza, City Hall, and the courthouse. The facilities are adequate and the renovation seems like it would pose only a minor irritation. I could definitely see myself enjoying going to school there and living in SF. Now if they'd just let me in!
Apr. 4, 2006: My acceptance from Seattle U arrived today with a Presidential Scholarship of $9,000. Not bad. Only Hastings and Loyola left to hear from. I have a feeling that I'll have to make up my mind between the four schools that I've gotten into and then if I get in at Hastings I'll go there.
Apr. 11, 2006: Law school decision round up. Withdrawing from Seattle U, Lewis & Clark, and USD. Sending in my U of O deposit. Waiting on Hastings.
Apr. 19, 2006: What a long process this has been, I'm so glad to be near the end of it. I received a letter from U of O's office of Student Affairs, which amongst other things included a list of five books for recommended summer reading. I'm going to Strand this weekend to pick up a couple of them. I'm almost 100% that I'm going to be in Eugene for the next three years, but it would be nice to know for sure...Hastings. I'm excited to get started!
Apr. 25, 2006: I spoke with the UO residence advisor about gaining residency. He told me what I already knew, it's difficult to prove residency if you're a full time student coming from out of state. I'm an OR native and have lived out of state for only three years. He gave me a little hope that I could prove my case for residency as a 1L or 2L. I also told him that my fiancee might work for the University, which would automatically qualify me for in state tuition. That is if I can prove domestic partnership or I can wait until we're married and qualify as a 2L. I may even qualify for her employee tuition rate for up to 12 credits. That would be great. Hopefully, she can find a job there that she would be interested in.
May 12, 2006: Hastings online status checker = rejected. It's been a long time coming and is a bit of a relief even as it is a dissappointment. I just have Loyola to hear from, but I don't expect that to sway my decision to attend U of O. Oregon here I come.
May 30, 2006: I visited U of O today. Tee in Admissions and Merv in Career Services were extremely helpful. I also got to meet the new dean and she was really nice. The building and facilities are great, and I really like Eugene. I'm happy about my decision and very excited to begin in the fall.
June 5, 2006: Waitlisted? I finally heard back from Loyola today and I was waitlisted. Silly Loyola.
June 14, 2006: I got an offer for an $18k non-renewable scholarship from USD today. It's still not enough to sway me from U of O, but I would have thought twice if it had been for all three years.