**Update- T Stock e-mail 5/9, phone call 5/10, admission 5/11**
June 4- It's official, withdrew from Columbia after having sent in HLS deposit. After all of that, I'm Harvard 2010.
It's official: Columbia 2010
I have been delighted with this cycle, and its ending is very unexpected for me, as I was pretty sure I'd be going to Penn. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions future (or current) applicants might have about my decision.
A word of advice to future applicants: you can haggle for money, especially with other offers, and even without. It also doesn't hurt to ask for more. For instance, although I received 45k from Penn, I called asking for more, and was basically assured of 60k if I committed. But, as you can see, I didn't do that.
11/20- Georgetown- Received letter in mail with the requisite (very nice) handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt.
11/29- Michigan- Status changed to "decision" online and I received a package with acceptance overnighted to Canada from Ann Arbor. Classy. For those interested, I did write "Why Michigan.
12/21- Penn- Call from Renee Post at 7pm telling me I was accepted. Phew. Wrote "Why Penn".
1/11/07- UVa- Acceptance by mail, with mention of Dean's scholarship, amount TBD in March.
1/26- Columbia- PDF letter by e-mail. Pleasantly surprised, I really thought I'd be deferred or waitlisted.:)
1/10/07- E-mail from Harvard indicating "hold" status. Very unsurprised. ;)
2/7- Sent in a letter of continued interest to HLS along with an updated transcript, not that I think it will make much difference, but you never know.
Also, updated the profile with a bit more specific info.
2/9- Letter from Michigan offering 54k over three years.
3/2- Back from visits to Penn and CLS. Loved both. No idea where do go, and feeling subject to a future of indecisiveness. Oh, also received an e-mail saying I didn't get Gtown's Dean's Scholarship. Not too disappointing considering I spent about 15 minutes on the essays. I think I'll be withdrawing soon.
3/25- Decided its time to give another update. Its probably down to CLS and Penn for me, although I'm waiting for my financial aid from UVa. A lot will probably come down to $$ (hear that, adcomms? ;)) Any suggestions, informed or otherwise, are more than welcome.
3/30- Scholarship offer from UVa of 60k over three years.
Also, 45k Dean's Scholarship over three years from Penn, via e-mail. It's been a productive day!
4/10- Columbia notified me that I received a 35k "Yee Moral Obligation Scholarship " spread out 14-14-7 over 3 years, to be paid back once I'm presumably rich and fabulous. This is very unexpected. I had pretty much decided on Penn, and now, back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?
4/30- Deposit sent to Columbia