Indiana- USPS Priority mail
Thomas M. Cooley- large envelope
DePaul- phone call (large envelope 5 days later)
Minnesota- phone call (large envelope 3 days later)
Notre Dame-email w/information about provisional waitlist
Washington & Lee- large white envelope, first class mail
Saint Louis University- large white envelope w/quarterly publication
Wisconsin- large white envelope, first class mail
San Diego- e-mail, large white envelope a few days later
Illinois- priority waitlist, single page letter, standard white envelope
Vanderbilt- standard envelope with waitlist form and decision letter
UT-Austin - standard envelope with single page rejection letter.
-decided to include scholarship money, for all of about five minutes. I'm just not comfortable posting dollar amounts. Anyway, feel free to ask if you are interested.
Update: Changed my mind, I'll post the scholarship money
2-19-06: Time to withdraw from some of these schools.
2-21-06: Not looking forward to the mail today...hope I can get through today without a thin envelope from Vanderbilt. Update: no mail from Vanderbilt :-)
2-22-06: Empty mailbox...lots of activity on LSN. I feel left out.
2-24-06: Acceptance from St. Louis includes a generous scholarship award that I will fully consider before making a final decision. Nothing yet from California other than a complete notification from one of the three schools where I applied.
2-26-06: Scholarship offer from Washington& Lee arrived yesterday. I still have eight schools to hear from and I am already beginning to lose sleep considering the excellent options I already have.
2-27-06: Wisconsin!! I was worried about this one because of a mistake I made on the application. Somehow, information I entered on the personal information sheet was not saved and I had to send in a corrected form. I share the school's values and I think this school could be a good fit for me. We'll see...
3-01-06: No mail for the last couple of days. I am going to Indiana for the open house at IU-B on Friday, so this is my last day recieving mail until early next week.
3-05-06: Returned from trip to IU-B and Indianapolis. Feel free to ask about my visit if you are interested in IU.
3-07-06: Silence from the Golden State...not sure what to make of it. I am going to schedule visits to Minnesota and Washington & Lee. As of now, I will try to get to Minnesota ASAP while it is still cold and I'll visit W&L during their admitted students weekend.
Update: USD acceptance via e-mail. How is that for timing? I visited USD in early December. I can't think of a better setting to study law. Despite this, I am still planning to visit the cold white north.
3-10-06: Three weeks until I have to accept or decline scholarship offers and I haven't heard from seven schools.
3-12-06: Had I known that Christopher Edley is the Dean at Boalt Hall, I would have signed up and paid for my ding. Crap! Anyway, I decided in 1995 that my first UC degree would be my last...probably wise to stick to that decision in the long run since CA has, of late, done a remarkably poor job of supporting UC's.
3-13-06: Scholarship info from USD arrived today. I had to read the letter four times before I could believe what I was reading. Wow!! I had hopes that I would be admitted, but I am amazed by this grant.
Faculty Directory & Research Activities publication arrived from the University of Minnesota. UMinn's mailings have been frequent and substantial in the information they provide. Very impressive overall...I am looking forward to my visit.
3-15-06: Called four schools today. None of the four have reached a decision. Fine. I don't mind if my name is still be kicked around the these adcomms every week. Maybe, in the absence of a consensus, they will unite in being sick of me and let me in. :-)
3-16-06: Recieved final determination from Fordham; no scholarships or need based grants. Decided to withdraw. Good luck to all Fordham applicants.
3-17-06: Signed up for March 25 open house at Washington & Lee. Anyone else going?
3-22-06: Fifteen days or so since my last decision. Seven pending applications this late in the cycle completely sucks. With the exception of two pending apps everything was submitted in December. I will continue to hope for the best and prepare to choose between my existing offers.
03-27-06: Priority waitlisted at Illinois. I'll make a decision regarding the waitlist sometime in the next day or two.
03-28-06: Time to withdraw from more of these schools. Withdrawal letters will be sent by the end of the week.
04-03-06: Another waitlist. No surprises here. Vandy was realistically my top choice, but I am not shocked by this outcome.
04-11-06: Ding Ding Ding!
04-14-06: My aversion to debt grows with each passing day. I will bring out the "A" and call it a day within the next 23 hours.
Time to withdraw from a few more schools.
4-16-06: This decision process is very complicated. The "A" will appear shortly.
4-27-06: Columbia required three Dean's Certifications (2 UG and 1 grad). As of last Friday, they are still missing one. Is there another school anywhere in the country that requires more than a Dean's Cert from from the school granting the undergraduate degree?
I accepted the scholarship offer from Indiana. Apparently they don't offer many full-tuition scholarships and I am thankful to have been offered one. The decision process was difficult and I am glad to be through it.
I owe utahman a beer. Any future classmates care to join us?