It's official, again, I'm going to the University of San Diego!
Today I received a waitlist reconfirmation form from Loyola law school. It basically asked if I was still interested in attending and if so to what degree. So I checked the box saying that I would likely attend even though that is not true. When I receive an acceptance I will negotiate for a scholarship. If Loyola gives me more than what USD has offered then I will ask USD to raise my offer. In any event, I want to show future law applicants and my own family that I was admitted into Loyola but chose USD instead. One of the reasons why I am choosing the University of San Diego over Loyola is because San Diego is more livable than Los Angeles is. Furthermore, I am excited about going to the best law school in San Diego because I plan on staying there for a long time.
I am very pleased to inform this forum that the University of San Diego has made my $16,000 scholarship renewable granted that I stay in top third of my class. I received a letter informing me of this from USD today so they are responding to my e-mail from Friday. I also sent out a snail mail request yesterday. It was a very quick response as opposed to receiving no response as I did a few months ago when I presented my McGeorge offer. I think that it only took USD a day to increase my offer because Case Western Reserve is ranked higher and because they were giving me a great offer. Now USD is giving me more aid than any other school. I was going to attend anyway but now I am extremely pleased to attend. I never even imagined I would be accepted but I'm very thankful for it.
$9,000 yearly scholarship from Case Western Reserve with a requirement only of good standing makes it a viable option. Plus the cost of tuition is $3,000 less than at USD and so is the cost of living. I'm going to ask USD for more money and see what they have to say.
Rejected from Indiana Bloomington today. It doesn't really matter because I'm going to USD anyways.
I received an e-mail from a professor at USD asking if I had any questions and letting me know that, according to the dean, I was one of their "outstanding applicants". Looks like USD is trying to recruit me. I am set on attending but they just don't know it yet because I haven't sent in my final seat deposit. I'll have to get that done before the end of the month. It's nice to get an e-mail like this and I will likely e-mail this professor back with some questions.
Admitted to Case Western Reserve via e-mail. Nevertheless, I am still looking forward to attending the University of San Diego in the fall.
Case Western Reserve let me know that I will be getting a decision this week. Good or bad, does it really matter?
I received an e-mail today from Case Western Reserve asking if I wanted to update them on anything. This is the second time that Case Western has contacted me without giving me a decision. Do they want a withdrawal? If they do, it's not going to happen because I'm going to wait for them to do their job. Nevertheless, I'm set on the University of San Diego but I want to hear from every school. Maybe Case Western or Indiana Bloomington will accept me with a scholarship that I can then use to increase my offer at USD. These are the last few schools left since I withdrew from many schools last week. I'm weary of these e-mails since I received one from Lewis and Clark last week asking if I was still interested in being considered for admission. After calling them up I found out that I had been waitlisted. So I no longer see these inquiries as good news. I promptly withdrew from L&C because I wouldn't choose them over USD. Yet it's wrong to send a fee waiver to an applicant, defer them, and then waitlist them. USD made my week better though by notifying me that I had received a $16,000 scholarship for my first year. Now I want to finish up my cycle with some straight answers and a bbq in San Diego. :)
I received three pieces of mail today from the University of San Diego School of Law. One of them informed me that I had received a $16,000 nonrenewable scholarship! I am so thrilled that it's hard to express just how I feel. I was going to attend anyway but this scholarship makes my decision very easy and I no longer have to justify not going to Loyola if I got off their waitlist. I am very exited about going to USD and I feel like they really want me there as well. I feel extremely lucky and I am truly thankful for the opportunity to attend my first choice, outside of UC Davis and UC Hastings, with money. I could not imagine being in such a position 6 months ago when I was taking the LSAT.
Went down to San Diego to check out USD and had a tour this time. I liked it a lot and I'm very confident that it's the right school for me. Lewis and Clark also e-mailed me asking if I was still interested in attending.
I received and acceptance letter from Santa Clara and a waitlist from Iowa. This news would have really been really exciting earlier in the cycle but now that I'm in at USD these letters are just loose ends. I am withdrawing from Santa Clara so that someone else can have the seat.
I just got into USD and I'm very shocked since everyone else with similar numbers has been waitlisted. I'm going there because of the reputation of the school and proximity to my family. I know that this changes my whole life but I just feel special about having been accepted based on something other than numbers alone, not that my numbers are bad or anything.
I was notified via e-mail that my scholarship to the University of the Pacific - McGeorge had been increased from $12,000 to $15,000 per year after I requested more funding. It actually came in the form of an offer, something that asked me if I would accept the increase. I guess that leads me to believe that they would have offered more but I'm not going to push my luck. I'm very thankful for the increase and will probably attend. I'm not certain yet since I have not received all of my decisions but at this point I am going there. I predict that Loyola will accept me right before school starts, USD will waitlist me and then accept me at the same time as Loyola, Iowa will reject me, and Lewis and Clark will probably to do something weird like reject or waitlist me (after giving me a fee waiver).
I got a call today from my step-father telling me I was waitlisted at Lewis and Clark and almost had a panic attack. He then read the letter to me and I quickly realized that he had made a mistake and that I was actually deferred. It seems that many people with numbers similar to mine are being deferred right now and that is just a fact of life. I thought that I would get in quickly since they sent me a fee waiver and I'm very disappointed that I did not. In the letter the admissions office writes that a decision has not yet been made so there is no need to panic. They should let me know in April or May so I will likely be putting down a deposit at McGeorge just in case. I must say that my numbers have been the highest of any applicant deferred thus far. Everyone else who has been deferred has had an LSAT below mine so this is very upsetting, although this may make me the top person to accept once they start making those final decisions. Either my application sucked or my letter to them letting them know that they are my number choice and that I would go backfired. It's not looking good for me. I may end up at McGeorge this year but if that is the case then I can't complain. After all, they were my reach when I was practicing for the LSAT. Now they are my safety but their school still appeals to me. All hope is not yet lost.
Rejected by UC Davis today via their status checker (a letter will follow). I would have loved to attend but I knew I had no chance. I am actually pretty happy about the ding. They took a reasonable amount of time to reject me and it means that I should be hearing from other schools in the next month or so. I'm sure I have a few more rejections coming but I hope they are not from my targets. This has also given me the chance to shake up my own rankings since I will not rank schools that I cannot attend.
Today I received a letter from McGeorge informing me of a $12,000 per year scholarship (plus books first year) if I stay in the top third of my class. In addition, the University of San Francisco put me on the waitlist. That is such a joke because I wouldn't actually go to their school without a scholarship. So I am withdrawing. I hope I receive an acceptance (and scholarship) from Lewis and Clark soon because I have to put down a deposit by April 1st. It's not like I would hate going to McGeorge but I would prefer to have more options. As it stands now it looks like I will be going to McGeorge unless I get into some higher ranked schools. After looking at my USF and American waitlists with the IU-B deferral, I'm thinking that I'm screwed. I now officially have more waitlists and deferrals than acceptances. I hope this trend stops now. If nothing else, I want an L&C acceptance. That would make me happy for the rest of the cycle. :)
So I went to the Southwestern brunch and made and ass of myself after being badgered by two professors. I told them that I was likely going to Lewis and Clark and just wanted to check out all of the other schools. One of them said that it was a good school too. I must say that they have a very nice building but I found the people to be lacking. Sure, they were sarcastic and witty but that's not exactly what I was looking for. I will be visiting McGeorge on March 2nd (Legal Scholars Day) and will be comparing the schools and teachers. The Southwestern teachers pounced on me as soon as I walked in and that kind of ruined the whole experience. I'm sure they were trying to be helpful but from what I saw there were 5 students per teacher and I had 2 professors all to myself. I felt uncomfortable about that. Hopefully the McGeorge professors will be a little more relaxed and will not single me out and ask me a bunch of questions.
I also got a parking ticket because I could not find their lot. I didn't know that you have to put money in the meter on Saturdays :( since I've been living in Riverside for the past 5 years. I also love how Southwestern didn't post any signs to the event. This is sort of sad considering that my undergraduate school (UCR) was more organized and always had many signs around campus for any type of event. I will wait until a scholarship offer before I withdraw. I want to have as many options as possible.
Yesterday I received a priority mail envelope from the University of the Pacific (McGeorge), which included an acceptance letter, the designation of Legal Scholar, and a possibility of a scholarship. Like Southwestern, McGoerge will send me a scholarship offer in the next few weeks (if I get one). It was also strange that the acceptance letters from both schools were dated on the same day.
I am happy to be admitted to law school with money but I am still looking forward to hearing from Lewis and Clark who also sent me a letter yesterday letting me know that I was complete. I hope they give me a scholarship (even if it is small) so that I can justify going there. It would be very sad though if they waitlist or reject me since I have a great chance of getting in with some money.
On a side not, I was waitlisted at American today. I am not sure if I want to stay on the list since I have not really checked out their school and wonder why I applied. The only experience I have had with them is from talking to one of their students who was very rude and stuck up. Therefore, I am unlikely to go there even if I do get accepted off the waitlist. At least American is out of the way now. I should have just applied to USD, Loyola, McGeorge, Davis, Hastings, and Lewis and Clark since those are the only schools that I would consider. The others were just a backup in case I changed my mind (which has already happened) or did not get in anywhere else.
McGeorge also offered to pay my way to visit them and I will take them up on it in March. This Saturday I will be going to a Southwestern admitted students brunch and will report back on how that turns out.
I came back from Todai a few hours ago, which is an all you can eat place, and saw an e-mail from Southwestern. It read "Roman, Join us for Brunch!" So I thought, it must be an acceptance, they wouldn't say "Roman you've been rejected, join us for brunch". So I opened the e-mail and I was accepted. Good thing the brunch wasn't for this Saturday but for the 24th. I was all brunched out today. Its always nice to get good news on my grandfathers birthday, especially after that IU-B deferral. At least I know Im going to law school now (but waiting for the scholarship).